Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Essay opening paragraph

Essay opening paragraph

Introductory Paragraph Examples for Essays,Have another favorite way to open an essay? Let me know in the comments!

WebSep 15,  · The most important considerations that a writer must make when starting an essay paragraph are the type of essay being written, the audience that will read the WebJun 6,  · Writing a strong essay opening is important. It’s the first impression you make on your professor and that impression will carry over into their grading decision. WebJun 2,  · The five-paragraph essay structure consists of, in order: one introductory paragraph that introduces the main topic and states a thesis, three body paragraphs to WebMar 1,  · So what’s the purpose of an intro paragraph? As a reader’s first impression of your essay, the intro paragraph should introduce the topic of your paper. Your ... read more




Gotta say.. As a complete copy noob but a driven one! I LOVE your tips and tricks… Every post I ever read by you is very helpful.. Hi Henneke thank you! Openings are enchanting Content is encouraging Comment-responses are heartening. The good Lord has empowered you for sure. Krishna Seva das. Hi, I follow your articles. I love the way you express your content. As a brand new blogger. I have my page set up and ready to go. With all these ideas in my head. But can you give me ideas on what my first few blogs should be about? Like where did you start? I am sure you were once where I am now. Thank you for any advice. It would help. I started with describing who I wanted to write for an ideal reader profile and then decided what blog posts would be most useful to that person. In the beginning, it felt to me like a big decision what my first blog post would be but I found out that it matters a lot less than I thought.


Firstly, in the future, people start reading a blog on any random post. Honestly your blog posts are fantastic! I love them. Thank you! Just need to put them into practice now….! Have fun! Hi Henneke. You inspire me. Learning a lot since I collided mmmm with your site a few days ago. Yes I should write not minding there are thousands out there more experienced, knowledgeable and authoritative because my ideas are worth sharing. Keep keeping on. Thank you for stopping by, Lubosi Jr. Thank you for stopping by, Navin. Thanks Henneke for these great tips. I am learning the different approaches so that I can skillfully use them in my writing.


Stephen King suggest writing a first draft with the door closed. What he means is that the first draft is only for your eyes—no need to think about everyone who might be reading later. When you edit your first draft, you write with the door open, considering how your readers perceive your text. This approach may help get rid of the exam feeling. I like to use the closed door approach when writing a first draft. When proofreading, I go into the door open approach as you describe here. This is a great advice for me. I have been using this tips without realizing it.


Thanks Henneke a lot. Great write-up really loved reading it and still not willing to stop I wish I could start writing the way you do and startup my own business. Would follow your writing guidelines. Read a lot and write a lot. Reading helps you see how others express their ideas. And the more you write, the easier it becomes to express your own ideas. It takes time and practice, so be kind to yourself. Great piece of writing again. I am striving hard to master this free flowing writing technique. Hats off to you. Happy to absorb all your great insights!! Great guidance for birthing my new blog…yikes! Thank you, Barbara. Confidence grows the more you write and publish! One among many of your evergreen post. I just finished a word post yesterday and when I started reviewing it, the opening lines disappointed me.


This article is the solution I needed. Thanks Henneke. Hello Henneke I am enjoying your tips and your website thank you very much. It would be nice to just write words but Google likes to see words article. I recommend writing for readers first If they land on your blog post, what do they expect to learn? And then it occurred to me, you dropped a few magnets that had me straining at the bit to click on. I reminded myself to continue reading your post, which I have and now I will go and read the nuggets you left along the way. I love that strategy. Yes, I left a few irresistible chocolates in this posts. Openings are the hardest! Wonderful post. Jon Morrow writes some of the best opening lines. Writing an irresistible opening is very important because many readers may not want to read a long post so that is why you have to hook them from the beginning.


Later on, I found my own approach. That tells me I may be just a bit boring, myself. I know I am serious-minded, but if making a reader laugh and loosen up a bit will also make him stay and read more, it will be a good thing. I now feel more comfortable not taking myself too seriously. Thanks for this interesting post. I am not a blogger but I run my own education company and I am working in digital marketing industry since last 8 years. The story telling approach is another very effective way but not that easy to deploy and most probably not applicable to all types of contents. Great to read a post of yours again.


I am not the fastest runner on the track but I am beginning to see a pattern here. Know your readers, feel your readers, get in their heads, put yourself in your readers shoes and walk, connect with and be the reader. I have written so many words that have never been read because my opening failed to do its work. I failed to do the work. I always get the tools here but at times I am using a shovel to tighten a screw. So with a deep sigh I will switch off my PC. Another comment left. Another post waiting on me to edit. Later Henneke. You are one of the best in the business and I admire you. Improving any skill is tough and takes time. Can I say option 3 is a subset of option 2? Because I think they fall into a story-themed opening.


In fact, I was so inspired I wandered off and wrote a page article before returning. I wonder if other people do that? Thank you, Henneke, for making writing so much fun. No need to force it, the others work fine, too. Empathy is key. It was for me even though ironically I wanted to get all the targeted traffic, subscribers, and sales. Its an unbalanced contradictory but as you get better at writing you start to look at the perspective of your readers better. I think we have a selfish side and a compassionate side. The most seductive opening paragraphs empathize with a reader, and make him feel less alone. You have such a gift for making the mysterious world of crafting a blog post tangible.


Glad you are back. I love digging into the mysteries of writing. I keep discovering new ideas. I love that, and I love sharing it, too ��. I find the opening and closing both quite challenging. This is why I often write them the next day. Which do you find most difficult? I always need to revisit that one, and like you will do it next day. Enjoy the sun ��. Or use it strictly for SEO by repeating the keywords right in the beginning. I think headlines need to grab attention because they need to compete with so many other headlines in social media streams. Thanks a lot for the article.


Would you recommend mixing forms of headlines or better be consistent in your style? g me it will influence the style of the article as well. Food for thought! In my case, I usually write the main body of the article first the tips , and after that I write the opening and final paragraphs. And promise to be generous with your advice. And for there reminder that we want to feel understood, and the details of how we set the scene are really important to make it feel recognisable and authentic. And allocating some time to really set the scene. I was wondering whether this is actually the secret to creating an addictive blog. Perhaps needs a dollop of good editing, too.


But it sums it up pretty well. Opening lines are definitely key. I like the first two examples the most. But I never tried the me approach.. probably because I was taught that the post should never be about me and be all about the reader. But I love how you switched it at the end to bring it back to the reader. So something like that I can see myself really trying in the future. Thanks for this and enjoy the rest of your week. Perhaps it may even allow the author to bond stronger with the reader than the other versions? Thanks for such great post! The opening lines are often the hardest to write. These tips are so good to bear in mind to start off with a strong opening — and then be able to get into a good writing flow.


Yes, I find the same — the opening lines are often the hardest to write. This is why I often write them last. Tripping over itself. Thank you for the reminder of how openings should sound. Have a great day. I also find that I have the tendency to make my openings too long. Always need to edit out a few sentences …. Follow proven templates for specific writing tasks, practice your skills, and get professional feedback so you become a confident business writer. Take on any writing project with gusto. Learn more about books and courses. I never saw myself as a writer, but in my early forties, I learned how to write and discovered the joy of writing. Learn how I can help you. Tips for beginning writers. Improve your writing skills. Popular blog posts. Skip to primary navigation Skip to main content Skip to footer Tweet.


Do you ever read back a draft of your writing and wonder what happened? You poured yourself a beer, feeling elated with your success. Any minor editing and proofreading could wait until the next day. What can you do? With a deep sigh, Helen Fields switches on her PC. Another Monday. Another article to write about leadership. From: How to Write So Vividly that Readers Fall in Love with Your Ideas. In this overcrowded online world, do you ever wonder why people would listen to your advice? I used to feel the same way. Why would anyone listen to me?


Can you make an impact with your words? From: How to Write with Power and Authority, Even if You Feel Like a Nobody. Recommended reading on blog writing: How to inspire with closing paragraphs 7 scrumptious blog writing tips to delight your readers Business blogging How to create a must-read blog. Enjoyed this? There was an error submitting your subscription. Please try again. Email Address. Comments Thanks for your content Henneke. Your choice of words and the rhymes in between should be a thing of study. Thank you for the bags of enlightenment. Thank you so much for your lovely compliment, Zion. I appreciate it! Grateful and thankful to receive them free����. Thank you, Vandana. Soon I will be a good writer thanks to your help.


English is not my native language either! Happy writing, Mohammad. Thank you for stopping by. That sounds great. Thank you for sharing. Happy writing, Kumbukani! Hey Henneke, Thank you for sharing this valuable article. Great work! Have a good day ahead!! Thanks, Ruhee. Cheers, Henneke. As Good and Useful as Always Henneke ��. What of you writing your first sentence like this. Many thanks. Dank je wel. Ha, yes! If you click through from the email snack, you can feast yourself on a good meal. Thank you for stopping by, Wally. You rock.. Thank you so much.


your posts are of great impact to develop my writing career. thanks Henneke. This introduction example is taken from our interactive essay example on the history of Braille. The invention of Braille was a major turning point in the history of disability. The writing system of raised dots used by visually impaired people was developed by Louis Braille in nineteenth-century France. In a society that did not value disabled people in general, blindness was particularly stigmatized, and lack of access to reading and writing was a significant barrier to social participation. The idea of tactile reading was not entirely new, but existing methods based on sighted systems were difficult to learn and use. It not only provided practical benefits, but also helped change the cultural status of blindness.


This essay begins by discussing the situation of blind people in nineteenth-century Europe. It then describes the invention of Braille and the gradual process of its acceptance within blind education. Your first sentence sets the tone for the whole essay, so spend some time on writing an effective hook. Avoid overly broad claims or plain statements of fact. The first sentence is a dry fact; the second sentence is more interesting, making a bold claim about exactly why the topic is important. The improved example here is still broad, but it gives us a much clearer sense of what the essay will be about. Instead of just stating a fact that the reader already knows, the improved hook here tells us about the mainstream interpretation of the book, implying that this essay will offer a different interpretation.


Next, give your reader the context they need to understand your topic and argument. Depending on the subject of your essay, this might include:. The information here should be broad but clearly focused and relevant to your argument. How much space you need for background depends on your topic and the scope of your essay. In our Braille example, we take a few sentences to introduce the topic and sketch the social context that the essay will address:. This is your thesis statement —a sentence or two that sums up your overall argument.


This is the most important part of your introduction. Keep it concise and give your reader a clear sense of the direction your argument will take. If your argument has gone in a different direction than planned, tweak your thesis statement to match what you actually say. You have a strong introduction - now make sure the rest of your essay is just as good. This introduction to an argumentative essay sets up the debate about the internet and education, and then clearly states the position the essay will argue for. The spread of the internet has had a world-changing effect, not least on the world of education. The use of the internet in academic contexts is on the rise, and its role in learning is hotly debated.


For many teachers who did not grow up with this technology, its effects seem alarming and potentially harmful. This concern, while understandable, is misguided. The negatives of internet use are outweighed by its critical benefits for students and educators—as a uniquely comprehensive and accessible information source; a means of exposure to and engagement with different perspectives; and a highly flexible learning environment. This introduction to a short expository essay leads into the topic the invention of the printing press and states the main point the essay will explain the effect of this invention on European society.


In many ways, the invention of the printing press marked the end of the Middle Ages. The medieval period in Europe is often remembered as a time of intellectual and political stagnation. Prior to the Renaissance, the average person had very limited access to books and was unlikely to be literate. The invention of the printing press in the 15th century allowed for much less restricted circulation of information in Europe, paving the way for the Reformation. Arguably the first science fiction novel, its plot can be read as a warning about the dangers of scientific advancement unrestrained by ethical considerations.


However, far from providing a stable image of the character, Shelley uses shifting narrative perspectives to gradually transform our impression of Frankenstein, portraying him in an increasingly negative light as the novel goes on. Your essay introduction should include three main things, in this order:. The length of each part depends on the length and complexity of your essay. To write a good hook, avoid overly broad statements or long, dense sentences. A thesis statement is a sentence that sums up the central point of your paper or essay. Everything else you write should relate to this key idea. The thesis statement is essential in any academic essay or research paper for two main reasons:.


Without a clear thesis statement, an essay can end up rambling and unfocused, leaving your reader unsure of exactly what you want to say. The structure of an essay is divided into an introduction that presents your topic and thesis statement , a body containing your in-depth analysis and arguments, and a conclusion wrapping up your ideas. The structure of the body is flexible, but you should always spend some time thinking about how you can organize your essay to best serve your ideas.



A five-paragraph essay is a simple format for writing a complete essay, fitting the minimal components of an essay into just five paragraphs. Below we discuss the fundamentals of the five-paragraph essay, explaining how to write one and what to include. Give your writing extra polish Grammarly helps you communicate confidently Write with Grammarly. The five-paragraph essay format is a guide that helps writers structure an essay. It consists of one introductory paragraph, three body paragraphs for support, and one concluding paragraph.


The five-paragraph essay format is more popular for educational assignments, such as school papers or quick writing exercises. Think of it as a writing tool to guide structure rather than an independent genre of essay. Part of the appeal of the five-paragraph essay format is that it can accommodate all types of essays. No matter your assignment, whether an argumentative essay or a compare-and-contrast essay , you can apply the structure of a five-paragraph essay to communicate clearly and logically, as long as your topic is simple enough to be covered in just five paragraphs. As with all essays, before you begin writing a five-paragraph essay, you first need to know your thesis, or main topic. Your thesis is the idea you will defend or expand upon, and ultimately what your entire essay is about, and the three paragraphs in the middle will support, prove, or elaborate on your thesis.


If your thesis is not provided in the assignment, choose one that has sufficient content for discussion, or at least enough to fill five paragraphs. Writers typically explain the thesis in the thesis statement , a sentence in the first paragraph that tells the reader what the essay is about. Your five-paragraph essay outline is like a blueprint where you can perfect the order and structure of your essay beforehand to save time on editing later. One of the biggest challenges in essay writing is transitioning from one paragraph to another.


Good writing is seamless and fluid, so if your paragraph transitions are jarring or abrupt, readers will get distracted from the flow and lose momentum or even interest. You can find a full list of transition words and phrases here. Just like in all prose writing, the basic components of your essay are its paragraphs. In five-paragraph essays, each paragraph has a unique role to play. Below we explain the goals for each specific paragraph and what to include in them. The first paragraph is crucial. Not only does it set the tone of your entire essay, it also introduces the topic to the reader so they know what to expect. Luckily, many of the same suggestions for how to start an essay still apply to five-paragraph essays.


First and foremost, your introductory paragraph should contain your thesis statement. The thesis statement is often the first sentence, but feel free to move it back if you want to open with something more attention-grabbing, like a hook. Your introductory paragraph is also a good spot to include any background context for your topic. You should save the most significant information for the body paragraphs, but you can use the introduction to give basic information that your readers might not know. Finally, your introductory paragraph should touch on the individual points made in the subsequent paragraphs, similar to an outline.


Each paragraph should be a separate and independent topic that supports your thesis. Start each paragraph with a topic sentence , which acts a bit like a thesis statement, except it describes the topic of only that paragraph. The topic sentence summarizes the point that the entire paragraph makes, but saves the details for the following sentences. After the topic sentence, fill in the rest of the paragraph with the details. These could be persuasive arguments, empirical data, quotes from authoritative sources, or just logical reasoning. Be sure to avoid any sentences that are off-topic or tangential; five-paragraph essays are supposed to be concise, so include only the relevant details.


The final paragraph concludes the essay. Here, the writer restates the thesis and reminds the reader of the points made in the three body paragraphs. If the goal of your essay is to convince the reader to do something, like donate to a cause or change their behavior, the concluding paragraph can also include a call to action. A call to action is a statement or request that explains clearly what the writer wants the reader to do. The basic principles of how to write a conclusion for an essay apply to five-paragraph essays as well. For example, the final paragraph is a good time to explain why this topic matters or to add your own opinion. It also helps to end with a thought-provoking sentence, such as an open-ended question, to give your audience something to think about after reading.


Capybaras make great pets, and the laws against owning them should be reconsidered. Capybaras are a dog-sized animal with coarse fur, native to eastern South America. For one thing, capybaras are rodents—the largest rodents in the world, actually—and plenty of rodents are already normalized as pets. Capybaras are closely related to guinea pigs and chinchillas, both of which are popular pets, and more distantly related to mice and rats, another common type of pet. In nature, most rodents including capybaras are social animals and live in groups, which makes them accustomed to life as a pet. There are a lot of prevalent myths about capybaras that dissuade people from owning them, but most of these are unfounded. For example, people assume capybaras smell bad, but this is not true; their special fur actually resists odor.


The one reasonable criticism for keeping capybaras as pets is that they are high-maintenance. Capybaras require lots of space to run around and are prone to separation anxiety if owners are gone most of the day. All in all, the advantages of capybaras as pets outweigh the cons. Even the extra maintenance they require is still manageable. If capybaras are illegal to own where you live, contact your local lawmakers and petition them to reconsider these laws. Notice how each of the three body paragraphs focuses on its own particular topic. The first discusses how rodents in general make good pets, and the second dispels some common rumors about capybaras as pets.


Last, the concluding paragraph reiterates the previous points and ties them together. The final sentence is written as a friendly send-off, leaving the reader at a high point. A five-paragraph essay is a basic form of essay that acts as a writing tool to teach structure. The five-paragraph essay structure consists of, in order: one introductory paragraph that introduces the main topic and states a thesis, three body paragraphs to support the thesis, and one concluding paragraph to wrap up the points made in the essay. How to Write a Five-Paragraph Essay, With Outlines and an Example Matt Ellis. Give your writing extra polish. Writing, grammar, and communication tips for your inbox.



How to Begin an Essay: 13 Engaging Strategies,Option 1: The “you” opening

WebMar 1,  · So what’s the purpose of an intro paragraph? As a reader’s first impression of your essay, the intro paragraph should introduce the topic of your paper. Your WebJun 2,  · The five-paragraph essay structure consists of, in order: one introductory paragraph that introduces the main topic and states a thesis, three body paragraphs to WebSep 15,  · The most important considerations that a writer must make when starting an essay paragraph are the type of essay being written, the audience that will read the WebJun 6,  · Writing a strong essay opening is important. It’s the first impression you make on your professor and that impression will carry over into their grading decision. ... read more



Your email address will not be published. Happy writing! Dank je wel. The basic principles of how to write a conclusion for an essay apply to five-paragraph essays as well. Food for thought!



State what the paragraph is about immediately and move on. By Richard Nordquist Richard Nordquist. Thank you, Andrew, essay opening paragraph, for your comment. Get online help with your introductory paragraph If you encounter difficulties while writing the introduction of your essay using samples, talk to us for immediate assistance. Openings are enchanting Content is encouraging Comment-responses are heartening. Krishna Seva das.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best research paper writing service

Best research paper writing service The 5 Best Research Paper Writing Services: Top Companies in the U.S.,Top 5 Research Paper Writing Serv...